Welcome...


My name is Laura Wheeler, from Burton-on-Trent in Staffordshire. My aim is to gain selection for the Great Britain senior rowing squad. Following a long break from competitive rowing I got back into training in the summer of 2009 at Trent Rowing Club. With it being such a small club I made the move to Nottingham Rowing Club in order to progress further. I train as part of the High Performance squad at NRC and coached by Dez Atkins. We train during normal working hours so in order to join the programme I had to reduce my working hours. The squad is made up of like minded athletes and there's nothing like a bit of competition to drive you on.


Photobucket

Sunday 16 October 2011

Nottingham Autumn Head

Today saw the first race of the season with all our squad racing in 1x for the first division.  Not only was it a good race run through for GB trials it is also used to select our NRC crews for the Fullers Fours Head of the River.

 I’d had a good week on the water leading up to the head and I wanted to go out and put it into racing.  I felt I achieved a lot in today’s race and it has given me a lot more confidence going into next weekend.  Unfortunately due to my opposition scratching from the race I was racing for time where the event was concerned so there was no shiny stuff to be won today.  There was alot of satisfaction to be taken from my result coming 3rd within our squad.  Hopefully this will be enough to see me earn a place in the top 4x for Fullers Fours Head but as yet the crew is still to be decided. 

No comments:

Post a Comment