Welcome...


My name is Laura Wheeler, from Burton-on-Trent in Staffordshire. My aim is to gain selection for the Great Britain senior rowing squad. Following a long break from competitive rowing I got back into training in the summer of 2009 at Trent Rowing Club. With it being such a small club I made the move to Nottingham Rowing Club in order to progress further. I train as part of the High Performance squad at NRC and coached by Dez Atkins. We train during normal working hours so in order to join the programme I had to reduce my working hours. The squad is made up of like minded athletes and there's nothing like a bit of competition to drive you on.


Photobucket

Sunday 28 October 2012

Officialy a water rower


After teaching the ergo monkey to row on water the time has come for him to put into practice his new found boat moving skill.  Just 2 months ago John had never sat in a boat and today was racing in a fine racing scull in the men’s novice 1x event at Burton Head.  I also agreed to race a mixed 2x with him which I came to regret when your freezing waiting for the start.  Having never been in a 2x before it was a case of wing it and see.
 
First up in Division 1 was his 1x race a field of 8 competitors some of which had several year’s experience despite not progressing form the novice category.  I was on hand with the camera and a few cheers from the bank.  He looked to be having a strong race and even managed to navigate through the Leicester Line Bridge without a hiccup.  John finished 3rd in the event and considering the amount of water time he’s had I think that’s a pretty strong result.
 
 
It was back to the club for a short lunch break and a rest before it was time to boat for the second division.  This time he had to drag me down the course whilst I had to try and steer not one of my strongest points.  We got to the start having had a couple of good practice pieces on the way up if not a little a wet.  There was no need to worry about the rain when I was sat behind John who did a good job of showering me with Trent water.  After sitting around in the cold for a while it was time to turn by which point your entire warm up has vanished and you’re just frozen.  Sure enough you soon warm up in the race.   


I found it quite strange but the event was about Johns rowing and not mine.  We had a few good patches where the boat seemed to shift mainly when he relaxed a bit.  It’s easy to forget when you’ve been rowing for so long how tense novice rowers can be especially when they are so eager to do well.  It was great fun despite the cold and things are always so much nicer when you get a medal at the end of things. 
 
 
It was a pleasure to be part of John’s first racing experience and especially to be part of his first win on the water.  He has now moved back down to London where he has joined the High Performance club for lightweight rowing London Rowing Club.  I know this will be the first win of many for John and I look forward to seeing him achieve his goals.
 
Well done John

No comments:

Post a Comment