Welcome...


My name is Laura Wheeler, from Burton-on-Trent in Staffordshire. My aim is to gain selection for the Great Britain senior rowing squad. Following a long break from competitive rowing I got back into training in the summer of 2009 at Trent Rowing Club. With it being such a small club I made the move to Nottingham Rowing Club in order to progress further. I train as part of the High Performance squad at NRC and coached by Dez Atkins. We train during normal working hours so in order to join the programme I had to reduce my working hours. The squad is made up of like minded athletes and there's nothing like a bit of competition to drive you on.


Photobucket

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Finding his water wings

A good friend of mine has been desperate to try water rowing.  John McAvoy has been indoor rowing for 4 years now and holds British and World indoor rowing records.  He is one of the most driven and determined people I have had the pleasure to meet. 

On Sunday I took John out in a double for his first trip out in a rowing boat thanks to both Burton Leander Rowing Club and Trent Rowing Club.  We spent a while going up and down the club straight in the training boat much to the annoyance of the fishermen.  Well they will insist on a fishing competition in front of 2 rowing clubs.  We then spent some time going through rowing technique on the rowing machine.  Typical indoor rowers and the slightly funky style but at least he goes quick.  We then got to go out in a real rowing boat and rowed up towards the ferry bridge. 

Wasn’t bad for a first time on the water maybe next time we will be able to row together.  We'll make a water rower out of him yet. 




The next challenge is a 2k ergo test of which I get 30 seconds head start.

No comments:

Post a Comment